Thoughts

Thoughts

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Entry#4 Sulcata tortoise




While looking on Craigslist I came upon an ad that read Baby sulcata tortoise just hatched $25. It was a tempting offer being that the price was so cheap.  I had wanted to have a tortoise since I was a small child.So, out of the blue, I called the number attached to the ad and agreed to meet. I bought the baby tortoise right then and there.



I was not too sure what or how to care for it. I looked up the information online and to my amazement it was more Care then I expected. Recommended habitat is a tortoise table. these are wooden tables are open topped living quarter with a heat lamp for sun bathing, dirt for burrowing, and closed areas for hiding. The tortoise needs to have a climate like its natural habitat




Tortoise are herbivores and  eat a many  greens and vegetables. variety is key when choosing the right food. Also, a tortoise will have to be keped hydrated. This can be done by sulking the tortoise. By filling up a small dish and placing the tortoise in a pool of water up to its mouth encourages it to drink.



 Tortoises generally should not be handled with any regularity. They are easily stressed when overhandled, and children tend to drop them when spooked. These stress factors can lead to a decline in a tortoise’s activity levels and health. They can grow in to a full adult that weighs over 100 pounds. At this weight, they tend to be between 70 to 90 years old depending on the sex of the tortoise. Usually, they out live their owners. with that big of a pet, it requires a special living quarter. Typically, a large tortoise would be kept out side and owners use dog houses to keep their tortoise in. 


I was way out of my head when I purchased the tortoise. But as time when on, I am happy with my little guy.





6 comments:

  1. Leonardo? Michelangelo?? Donatello??? Raphael????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god I love turtles and love how you did this because i had planned on getting myself a turtle for my birthday here soon. very very cool

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very happy I came across this post. I love turtles and tortoises!!! I had a red eared slider in a water tank, in my room and a desert tortoise in the backyard growing up. My fascination with turtles goes beyond my kid obsession of pizza eating, crime fighting mutant reptiles. I, admire their mellow lifestyle and the peaceful vibe a tortuous has just by swimming in water or roaming the earth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am very happy I came across this post. I love turtles and tortoises!!! I had a red eared slider in a water tank, in my room and a desert tortoise in the backyard growing up. My fascination with turtles goes beyond my kid obsession of pizza eating, crime fighting mutant reptiles. I, admire their mellow lifestyle and the peaceful vibe a tortuous has just by swimming in water or roaming the earth.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My 6 year old son loves Mario brothers so ,of course, he had to choose Bowser

    ReplyDelete
  6. Manuel--Good topics and entries. You have some good development and support for your points. Keep digging to create significance for your audience. Make sure you are doing all of your own writing all the time. Good visuals. Don't forget about closing the entry.

    ReplyDelete